Monday, November 4, 2013

My Cat Raja


My cat, Raja, is now 6 years old! It's crazy for me to think that... I remember when he was a tiniest kitten like it was just yesterday. He was only 7 weeks old when we got him in 2007. I can't believe it's been that long.


Raja and I are best friends. He definitely lives up to his name. Raja means 'king' or 'ruler' in Urdu, my native language. Raja thinks he's the king of the universe. He only likes attention when he wants it, he meows at you until you give him treats, he makes you stand there when he eats, and he hates being held. He basically sleeps and eats the whole day long. He's a lazy cat, although he was a very active kitten. He's also a big cat, which leads to a lot of confused people asking us if he's pregnant. 


Don't get me wrong, he might be a lazy ball of fur, but he is really smart. Sometimes I think he can understand everything I say to him. 


Once, Raja saved me. I remember being asleep in my room. I woke at some early hour in the morning to a terrible stomach ache. There was something really wrong, and it hurt so much that I couldn't get up to get help. Raja knew that I was hurt. He went to my parents' bedroom and started meowing and scratching at the door. My mom stepped outside to see what was freaking Raja out so much. Raja immediately stopped meowing, so she went back into her room. At this point, Raja started to meow loudly again. My mom came out of the bedroom for a second time, and followed Raja to my room. I ended up going to the hospital. It was nothing life threatening, but Raja saved me. I don't know what would've happened if he hadn't.


Raja is a huge part of my life. He's a perfect companion when you need someone to listen to you, to make you feel safe, or even just to curl up next to you. He is really friendly (but sometimes evil of you don't do exactly what he wants.) Some people may think that cats don't genuinely love their owners, but that's not true. They are independent creatures, but just like their canine counterparts, they are willing to risk anything for the sake of their owners. Oh, and they also spend their lives thinking about one other thing- WORLD DOMINATION.










2 comments: