Monday, October 21, 2013

Restaurant Review: Crepe Bar

Every weekend  is a new opportunity for my family and me to eat at different restaurants. On Sunday morning, we decided to try out a crepe place, Crepe Bar, for brunch. If you don't know already, a crepe is a French pancake-like food item. Crepes are extremely thin, and often filled with sweet or savory ingredients.

Crepe Bar has a cool, relaxing vibe. The location isn't ideal, and there are only a couple of small tables outside the main entrance for outdoor seating. The store is also pretty small in size, and some of the tables are positioned pretty close to each other. But, the overall buzz of the restaurant and fresh flowers at every table gave it a relaxed atmosphere.


A wide variety of interesting drinks were available at the front of the store.I had the opportunity to try wild strawberry soda. It was actually really good, and it had a natural strawberry flavor. Crepe Bar is also famous for their coffee, and my parents ordered two mugs. I personally dislike coffee, so I didn't get to try it. As soon as my mom took a sip, she realized that there was an odd flavor in the coffee. After taking a few more sips, both of my parents rejected the coffee. My dad said there was an odd aftertaste, and it made him nauseous. I wouldn't recommend trying it.


After taking a look at the menu, we decided to order three sweet crepes and two savory crepes. I ordered the cheesecake crepe, which had pistachio, cream cheese, and fresh strawberries. My little sister and I decided to share our dishes, so she ordered the chicken pesto crepe. My mom and my dad also decided to share with each other and ordered the breakfast burrito, which (we were told) was the most popular item on the menu, and the vanilla bean custard with strawberries. We ordered one extra crepe for all of us to share called the first time which had nutella and banana brûlée.

We had to wait in line to order our food at the back of the store, and were told that it would take 30 minutes or more for our order to come out! The kitchen was backed up, and the waiters looked very flustered. I don't think that the quality of service was up to par. It had been almost thirty minutes, and we were informed that the kitchen had not even began to prep our food. And so we waited.

After a while, our savory crepes arrived. The chicken pesto was pretty good, but it was not at its full potential. In reality, it needed more pesto! The chicken didn't have that green pesto sauce or the basil flavor that I really adore. However, I enjoyed the fact that it contained caramelized onions for that extra sweetness.

After we enjoyed our savory crepes, the sweet ones arrived. The cheesecake crepe was a plain crepe with cream cheese puree, fresh strawberries, and granola. It wasn't exactly what I had expected, and wasn't really anything to write home about.There wasn't enough cream cheese on the sides of the plate to eat with the crepe.


The vanilla custard looked a lot like the cheesecake. It was a plain crepe with a creamy white vanilla custard on the sides of the plate, and fresh strawberries to top it off. The custard had a strong vanilla flavor that not everyone would enjoy. It was pretty good.

The best crepe, hands down, was the first time! I am personally in love with Nutella, and love it paired with banana. The crepe was filled with ooey gooey Nutella and pieces of banana, and garnished with a carmelized (brûléed) banana. It was divine. It's really the only crepe I would recommend to anyone who goes to Crepe Bar.

Overall, this crepe place was pretty good. If I ever come back, all I'm ordering is the first time crepe with some strawberry soda. I would recommend this place if you want to try something new and still not venture too far from normal everyday flavors. The ambiance is enjoyable, and it's a fun environment for a relaxing get together over breakfast or lunch.

9 comments:

  1. There aren't that many good French restaurants in Arizona, and there aren't that MANY either. It looks like a nice place to have breakfast. That's French-style coffee for you... or at least the one I've tried. It tastes good, but has a weird aftertaste...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California has some pretty good French restaurants though

      Delete
    2. If you want the best French food I would recommend Chez Vous. The owners are French, so they have pretty authentic food.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! Ill have to go there sometime! Love your review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never actually had crepes :P. I'll have to try this restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! I have heard about this place. I'm going to go this weekend. It stinks that you had to wait so long though, but it looks like it was worth it:) When I was in Paris, I had 2 crepes every day (I think I gained 5lbs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt this is anything near to what you tried in Paris. I don't think the crepes were really worth the wait. The only one that I couldn't get enough of was the First Time. If you ever head to Scottsdale, I would recommend Chez Vous. I personally think they have a better and larger selection of crepes. The owners are super nice and they are French, so they know what they are talking about.

      Delete
  5. I have never ate a crepe before, but it does sound tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to another crepe shop before~ It's called Cupz and Crepez and had a lovely atmosphere, I'll check this out too!

    ReplyDelete